Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

The F28-1000 operated its first RPT service in Australia 50 years ago today

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

The F28-1000 operated its first RPT service in Australia 50 years ago today

Old 2nd Sep 2019, 00:09
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: International
Age: 75
Posts: 1,374
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The F28-1000 operated its first RPT service in Australia 50 years ago today

F28-1000 VH-MMJ operated MV 1740 PER - PHE on 2 Sep 1969.
B772 is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 02:46
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 73
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great aircraft! 5,000 hours on type in eight countries.
Cilba is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 03:50
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Seat 0A
Posts: 8,282
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go the Fokkers!
Capn Bloggs is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 05:01
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lagrangian point 2
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a great thread a little while ago on the DC-9, with some really interesting war stories and photos.
Itd be nice to maybe see something similar with the F-28!
ExtraShot is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 06:46
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: Out of a suitcase
Posts: 72
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ExtraShot View Post
There was a great thread a little while ago on the DC-9, with some really interesting war stories and photos.
Itd be nice to maybe see something similar with the F-28!
Particularly if that low-level hold down on departure out of Tennant Creek surfaces....
Ozdork is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 07:05
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 31
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And they are still going strong.

Alliance is the worlds largest F70/100 Operator
ghyde is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 08:38
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 65
Posts: 426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to see the early F-28's doing holiday charters at Palma, Mallorca from 1969 onwards as the holiday airlines were some of the very first F-28 operators.

LTU, Germanair, Martinair, Aviacion, flying from Germany and Holland

(PH-MAT of Martinair going to MMA Miller VH-FKF and D-AHLB of Aviacion to MMA Miller as VH-FKG)

Braathens, Linjeflyg, both flying down from Scandinavia to the Med, often with a stop at RTM.

Iberia also ordered three aircraft. They were regularly seen operating as far afield as Heathrow.

Despite LTU being the official launch customer, their first aircraft was damaged the day after delivery on February 24, 1969 and needed its starboard wing replaced. The aircraft had been attempting take-off on a demonstration flight from Hanover but ice contamination on the wing caused a roll to the left on rotation and the wing to impact the ground. The aircraft was successfully landed but the right wing, flaps and ailerons were badly damaged.
​This enabled Braathens to steal the day and put its first F28-1000 into service earlier, on March 28. It had received its second aircraft the day before also. Braathens used its F28s on domestic scheduled routes but also charter operations to the Mediterranean. In fact, the initial service was a Stavanger-Rotterdam-Palma service. LTU finally started operations on April 2, 1969 and put the type straight into service between Dusseldorf and Palma de Mallorca. At this time all of LTU’s service departed from their base in Dusseldorf.
LTU appeared to have found the F28 less suitable to its increasing operations. It acquired a further pair of new build aircraft in 1971 (D-ABAN and D-ABAM) but all four aircraft were sold on in 1973/74. Soon afterwards LTU was purchasing new, and nearly new L-1011 Tristars to complement its Caravelles so it may have been that the F28 was simply too small for its charter operations by the mid-70s.

Fokker’s move into pure jets was a risk that took a long while to pay off. Interestingly far from being a ‘regional’ type aircraft the earliest F-28 operators saw the Fellowship as a mainline aircraft and it was not unusual to see the type in operation on charter routes from Northern Europe to the Mediterranean that in later years would occupy an A300 or a Tristar. Although the above airlines ordered the Fellowship early on for Inclusive Tour holiday charter flights, the small niche jet was OK with 65 seats for the near Mediterranean, but because the range of the Fokker F-28 was too low, the companies could not offer non-stop connections to the important winter destinations in the Canary Islands and many aircraft were sold on and Fokker lost orders. ​
rog747 is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 08:43
  #8 (permalink)  
34R
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brisbane
Age: 51
Posts: 232
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some great footage of F28 unpaved runway trials into Bacchus Marsh

34R is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 08:52
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 65
Posts: 426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 34R View Post
Some great footage of F28 unpaved runway trials into Bacchus Marsh

Great archive there -
The first ever F-28 seen in the video PH-MOL, saw service as LN-SUM with Martinair, Braathens S.A.F.E. and LTU
rog747 is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 13:36
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why was the F28 such a loud aircraft? I remember flying on them from Perth to Carnarvon (PER-CVQ) with Ansett WA and the house I stayed at was underneath the flight path so the F28 would fly over the house and it was just so loud. Great stuff.
Saintly is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 13:46
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 65
Posts: 426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOUD

Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
Why was the F28 such a loud aircraft? I remember flying on them from Perth to Carnarvon (PER-CVQ) with Ansett WA and the house I stayed at was underneath the flight path so the F28 would fly over the house and it was just so loud. Great stuff.
Rolls Royce Spey x 2 ( RR RB.183 Mk 555-15 Spey Junior) will probably be the culpable reason here, never ''hushed'' AFAIK - Also fitted on the BAC 1-11 crackle jet...
I do not assume for one moment 'Junior' ever came into any form of noise reduction over the adult version. LOL

However, inhabitants of OZ did not see many 1-11's to experience the racket...

Last edited by rog747; 2nd Sep 2019 at 17:02.
rog747 is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 15:26
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,180
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1976 when I first went on the the F28 operated by Air Nauru we used the Ansett Company Ops Manual on how to fly the F28 which used the same text in some areas as the Ansett DC9 Operations manual. In particular I recall one statement warning that the F28 was a high sink rate aircraft and there was a minimum approach thrust setting for spool up purposes. In other words Ansett pinched swathes of DC9 advice and inserted that into the F28 manuals.
In fact the F28 was a kitty cat to fly compared to the DC9 and later the 737. I don't recall a high sink rate danger on final.
Centaurus is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 23:53
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On my V Strom
Posts: 306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crikeeeey, first 20 seconds of that video had me thinking I was about to see some 1960s hairy flight attendant porn............... alas
Trevor the lover is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 01:16
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: QLD
Posts: 570
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBL Warrior a well kept 50 year old Fukker on heat would spin your wheels. And drink you under the table!

Your MAX wont make 50! Have they started dragging them to the tip yet?

F70/100 has another 30 years of service life maybe more.

To me that clip was porn



Last edited by geeup; 3rd Sep 2019 at 02:05.
geeup is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 02:08
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Equatorial
Age: 49
Posts: 862
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that’s a sales video!!!

Love the bit - “the crosswind has considerable effect on landings”, little bit of wing down all looked very smooth.

One great Fukker for sure, again real aircraft. GPS you say...

They don’t buildem like that anymore!

Same re the comment re the erm other 50 year old.......
Global Aviator is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 05:52
  #16 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: International
Age: 75
Posts: 1,374
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who remembers the Cyclone Tracy evacuation in 1974 when a 60 seat MV F28-1000 VH-FKB departed DRW with 128 pax.
B772 is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 23:38
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gee how did that manage that? Good effort.

Originally Posted by B772 View Post
Who remembers the Cyclone Tracy evacuation in 1974 when a 60 seat MV F28-1000 VH-FKB departed DRW with 128 pax.
Saintly is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 23:41
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to fly on the F28s (PER - CVQ - PER) with Ansett.(Ansett WA) and they were loud.

Originally Posted by rog747 View Post
Rolls Royce Spey x 2 (
RR RB.183 Mk 555-15 Spey Junior) will probably be the culpable reason here, never ''hushed'' AFAIK - Also fitted on the BAC 1-11 crackle jet...
I do not assume for one moment 'Junior' ever came into any form of noise reduction over the adult version. LOL

However, inhabitants of OZ did not see many 1-11's to experience the racket...
Saintly is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 23:46
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Age: 70
Posts: 854
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
I used to fly on the F28s (PER - CVQ - PER) with Ansett.(Ansett WA) and they were loud.
..........and they were VERY loud in the crapper.
WingNut60 is online now  
Old 4th Sep 2019, 03:19
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 1,391
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall one statement warning that the F28 was a high sink rate aircraft
Pull the speed brakes and you'd soon find out what a high sink rate was. The F28 was the backbone of airline service in PNG rather than a feeder due to its high level of performance and the lower passenger numbers, as stated earlier the noise was incredible, the windows in the terminal used to vibrate when one taxied close by.
krismiler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.