PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would a new student fare in a helicopter if the instructor is kaput?
Old 8th Sep 2019, 19:22
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Possible

Got bored during a paragliding course in Auckland so turned up for an hours lesson in a jet ranger and my first chopper flight. Briefing..have mates who are fast jet pilots..you won't be able to hover it on your first flight and if you've heard something different it's horlicks.
Given it in cruise..felt really wierd with its oscillation and slow speed ..got bored so flew back to airfield..descended then into low hover and to mess me up got me to fly backwards..novel ..he then got really p!ssed so took it back to the pad. Think he thought it was a set up but I was very current on glider aerobatics and had briefly flown model helicopters with just a tail gyro which was far more difficult than full size.
hover helped by a 10 knot wind down the runway.
Remember a story by my VC10 instructor jumping into the seat on a Trident 1 at prestwick and flying several circuits using his own throttles including manual thrust which wasn't allowed in 70s BEA..didnt believe him at the time as wet behind the ears.