PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holidaymaker flies aircraft to his holiday destination.
Old 4th Sep 2019, 20:56
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Weapons Grade
Me too - I can't think if any reference which comes to mind, except by way of a reference in a company manual, which can easily be set aside in such a case as given.
In fact, I believe most large U.S. airlines have a procedure in the operations manual allowing operation of the aircraft without the proper uniform. You don't want a plane parked because someone's suitcase is stolen overseas. You are supposed to get an authorization message from the ops department. Or, so they tell me. I've certainly left my uniform in the closet of an international hotel on a trip that alternated operating legs and deadheads in civilian clothes.

There are similar procedures for operating with faxed or emailed copies of licenses and medicals if the originals are lost or stolen downline although this may only apply to domestic operations.

A United pilot showed up for a flight in civvies a couple of years ago:

United Airlines replaced a pilot before takeoff on Saturday after she boarded in civilian clothes and told passengers over the intercom that both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were liars and that she was getting a divorce, witnesses said. The airline on Sunday declined to identify the pilot or comment beyond a previous statement apologizing to customers, many of whom left the plane out of concern for their safety.

The flight from Austin, Texas, to San Francisco took off with a new pilot about 90 minutes late, passengers said.

“She shows up dressed like a civilian and asked us to take a vote to see whether we should have her change into her uniform or fly as is,” passenger Pam O’Neal told KPIX television upon landing in San Francisco.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN15R0RC