PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAE Oxford Vs L3 (CTC)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 03:26
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B61
And you can save yourself £40k.
But, to be devils advocate... You're putting it down to finances, which means you could either spend the 40k or not spend it (seemingly you have the option some how?!). If you take a modular route and get your 'dream' job even a year later (as opposed to perhaps an MPL or whatnot), you've earnt £140k less in your career meaning the 'savings' had been bad maths (ignoring those on a hedge fund managers salary during the intervening year).

You're right though, I'm an easyjet captain who notices no difference in the quality of cadets coming from modular vs those from intergrated schools. For the most part, the 'quality' argument is a load of corporate guff. Although the modular guys are usually a little more down to earth, but that's probably mostly related to age and non-flying life experience. But ask these modular schools what the 1 year sucess rate of graduates is, as opposed to the story of that one 'recent' graduate who got into British Airways straight away as a A350 base training captain. I don't know if job rates are lower or higher than the big 2 intergrated schools, but i'd imagine it's got to be considerably lower.

I've been paying attention to this school choice debate recently as family member is about to start training, looking mostly at L3/CAE. Personally, I don't think (if you're British), there has been a worse time to start training in the last 10 years, but despite my advice, i think they're going to go for it. I assume you're not going into it straight away, but surely you should wait for Brexit to be even vaguely sorted before you jump on any courses? A British Passport has never looked more useless!

One last aside, i have flown with a number of modular guys who did the CTC AQC (JOC/MCC) and the small premium on that course over a JOC/MCC elsewhere was worth it as they got Airbus jobs almost immediately, but timing is everything, don't forget that is rule 1! Now, i'm afraid, the timing is crap!