PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 plane diverted to Porto after pilot falls ill at the controls
Old 29th Aug 2019, 07:23
Bam Thwok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesty Morgan
Spot on, go anywhere you like in an emergency. And having operated to Funchal for the last 7 years it's really not that big a deal.
Been P1 into FNC for over 20 yrs and that place can bite you in the bum, BIG TIME.....especially Rwy 23 below 200’ !!

The F/O, in case, did good and I’m sure the company will praise him/her for his/her professional handling of the incident.

What I’m sure of is that the “Captains ONLY Landing and Take off” is a Portuguese State restriction, not a Company one and all “approved” Capt’s must be checked out in a sim first and possibly also a check ride in with an approved Training Capt before operating “solo” into the island.

Interesting debate about the use of FNC in an emergency though ......
Listened to a RYR a couple of years back heading North from TFS declaring a “medical emergency” and requesting diversion to FNC.
The Portuguese sector controller asked if the Capt was approved for FNC ?
The reply was “negative” and he was then denied a landing at FNC but given the option to divert to the next island, Porto Santo (PXO).
What makes that option interesting is that if, after landing in PXO, the medical case is deemed to serious for the Island’s own medical services to deal with, the casualty is then flown by the Portuguese emergency services to FNC, where I believe there are better facilities !

Now....... what if you’ve got a fire onboard and FNC is closest ???