PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 plane diverted to Porto after pilot falls ill at the controls
Old 29th Aug 2019, 06:52
sudden twang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst saving up to buy my way into the RHS someday I thought I’d improve my ignorance by reading some books on how to be an ex hamster Sky god. It differentiated between LAND ASAP and land at nearest suitable.
It had a chapter on pilot incapacitation and pointed out that there would not be any monitoring so a methodical and careful style was needed rather than a high workload environment. It suggested ( not the case here) that the first available option is not always the optimum solution and gave the example of the crewmember severing a finger. An island airport was close but discussion with medical experts suggested a diversion to a major hospital on the mainland, a considerable distance away, was a better decision and the finger could be reattached.

The Jet 2 event had a successful outcome well done to all and hopefully a speedy recovery for the incapacitated pilot.

The book also said that one of the behavioural markers of ignorance was thinking a 757 had an ECAM ( only joking) 😉

Last edited by sudden twang; 29th Aug 2019 at 07:10.