PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 45 Squadron Phenom 100 in LFA 14?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2019, 21:32
Thrust Augmentation

Received 82 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Street

Given that it was the night after a public holiday (in England, anyway) and well after the cut-off time for low flying training, you can be assured that it was not a Phenom. Also, I’m no multi-engine expert but I’d be very surprised indeed if there was any night low flying training carried out except on the front-line types. Equipping the Phenom with a NVG-compatible cockpit would be a ridiculous waste of money...

The combination of ‘slow’ and ‘jet’ makes me suspect that your height estimation is awry. It’s very hard to judge distance from sound alone, especially if it’s otherwise quiet and terrain effects are involved (both seem likely in that part of the world).
Thought it was a long shot...

While It's completely possible that the estimation could be wrong, I've got my doubts it's that far off - been eyeballing & lugging mil & civi flights every day for the last 40 plus years in an area with busy commercial air routes up top & an LFA below that sees plenty of GA when it's not operating. 100% a light jet at a relatively low altitude, but don't understand how it could be civi.

Most of the higher hills around hear top out at around 2000ft & it's pretty easy to tell if an aircraft is "in" the Glen or not.