PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS 2011 grounding about to be revisited?
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 08:36
ScepticalOptomist

Received 110 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective
In terms of world peace it probably doesn't matter but it is important and the ability to communicate is rapidly declining due to weasel words and other phenomena creeping into the language... using verbs as nouns, etc. We once used to have rain... now it seems it can't be rain without being a 'rain event'. This ridiculous language has detracted from the subtleties of English such as basic spelling. One hopes you don't have the same attitude to communicating critical operational information... "Oh, who gives a flying ------ was the message lost because I said 57,000 kg of fuel instead of 75,000 kg..."
It may seem petty and we all make minor mistakes like this but it should not just be dismissed out of hand - besides, I did not detect any hint of sarcasm in the person that offered the correction, your response however...
I agree with you - we are losing our ability to communicate effectively with the introduction of all the weasel words and puff language.

More frustrating is when someone jumps all over you for minor spelling errors which do not detract from the message. The intended message is ignored in favour of calling out a spelling or grammatical error. That makes them a numpty.

Your example of 57,000 vs 75,000 isn’t even close to the example I responded to. More like someone writing 57 ton instead of tonne - most would figure out what was meant without “calling them out”.