PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Eject' versus 'Bailout'
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2019, 03:35
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
BEags

You're right about one thing. Your friend’s story does predate me. By a year or two.

Actually you're right about two things. Times have indeed changed.

The problem with stories like that is that there is invariably more to it.

I am English but I am at least able to be non partisan when considering people’s attitudes. Did you ever stop to think why the ‘Anglesey Welsh’ allegedly disliked the English?

Probably for the same reason that a young Rhosneigr local would be well justified in disliking the English (well those from Cheshire and Manchester at least) nowadays.

It is for the exact reasons that you so ably demonstrated in your post. Arrogance.

In your case you merrily spread a 44 year old story as if it were historical fact. In others cases they treat the locals with total disdain and make no effort to acknowledge the fact that the Welsh language even exists. This is despite it being the only officially recognised language in the UK after English.

Now, of course, I realise you are never wrong and you will doubtless swipe my opinions aside as is your habit when someone dares to oppose your world view. However, when I read your story I don’t automatically think about the ‘stupid Welsh people’. I think of how embarrassed I am to be English at times. And, yes, I realise your friend was (South) Welsh. If you wish to use that as your reason to ignore my point then please continue. But I think we all know where you’re coming from.

As an aside, whilst I feel sure you regale the story exactly as told to you by your friend, I have heard that story repeated so many times from so many different people and have never encountered the phenomenon myself. What I have encountered is my wife, her entire family and all of her friends speaking their national language regardless of the presence of English people.

BV

🙄 (my eyes are rolling just as much as yours).

Last edited by Bob Viking; 21st Aug 2019 at 04:41.