PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Eject' versus 'Bailout'
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2019, 16:37
Lancman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reject, eject.

In the early days of the RAF Britannia fleet the Captain’s pre take-off emergency briefing went something like this:-

“If any of us sees an engine failure or fire, or a major control malfunction before V1 he is to call “REJECT”. I will confirm by closing the throttles and you, Engineer, will select brake dwell on all engines and full reverse on the symmetrical remaining engines. You, Co-pilot will inform air traffic control and tell them to “Standby”. When the aircraft has come to a complete stop and the parking brake has been set we will deal with the problem. Any questions?”

When we became part of Strike Command the word came down that the word “REJECT” was not to be used in any RAF cockpit because of the risk of misunderstanding but the word “ABORT” was to be used instead. An ugly word but effective.

A further policy decision was then published that it was wrong for a Flight Engineer or a Co-pilot to issue an apparent instruction to a Captain and that in future he was to call out a short and accurate description of the symptoms only. Such as “Engine failure number 3”.

Many years later a well known Irish Nimrod Flight Engineer was handed a right bag of nails to sort out just short of V1 during his last simulator check before retirement and his call out was “Holy Mary Mother of God will you look at dat lot then!”. He passed the check.

I was rather taken a-back later when I started airline flying when I was briefed “Standard left. Did I miss anything?”