PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Eject' versus 'Bailout'
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2019, 07:23
Just This Once...

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Street
On Tornados there were essentially 3 levels of preparedness:

1) Carry out the ‘Abandoning’ drill from the checklist. This culminated in a call of ‘EJECT EJECT EJECT’ with the teaching...
Reasonably certain LOMCEVAK can remember the Tornado procedures, save for flying FJ types with 2 seats but no trainer option, 2 seats that may or may not have a trainer option in the back, pure single-seat only, normally single-seat but with 2-seat version all in a mix with different seating arrangements, different users, nations and languages. Plenty opportunity for confusion.

I used to think that the urgency and tone was a major part of an ejection call, until a crew on a dark night in a Tornado over the water that went something like this:

[Background of lots of front-rear-front comms and FRC shuffling by rear seat pilot as CWP lights danced around faster than ever experienced in the sim...]

Front seat: "... [calm voice] ... oh and I have no control, err no... no control... we eject... yes..."

Rear seat: Looks up briefly from paper-and-thumb frenzy "... [quizzical tone]...err.. you're kidding me..."

Cue big bang and blinding flash of rockets in front of him, followed by a bigger and more painful bang with head/face/palm/FRC/thigh all trying to occupy the same space.