PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 2 to a Class 1
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2019, 19:42
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 2 to a Class 1

I currently hold an unrestricted Class 2 medical, there were a couple of things which needed a letter from my GP (Asperger's and Asthma, both during childhood only) but were nonetheless fine with no expensive or time-consuming tests.

I've now put in for a couple of cadet programmes and whilst it's very early days, I'm aware that a delay in a medical could ultimately result in me having an offer revoked, if I were to reach that stage. I have a day job that I wouldn't leave for anything other than flying, so I don't want to be in a position where I've put my notice in but end up with an offer pulled (the recruitment timescales seem to be short and my notice period is a bit on the long side).

If I were to go for a Class 1, would I need more extensive testing in the areas I've highlighted, given I hold a Class 2? I'm aware that the Asthma would possibly need exercise spirometry and a consultant's report. My AME doesn't do Class 1 initials, only renewals. I've also heard of differences between AMEs with some requesting tests that others don't etc.