PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-7
Thread: Birmingham-7
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2019, 16:25
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inOban
But the GLA service is to be operated by a frame based there. Are posters looking for BHX-based services?
I should imagine there are many posters looking for a BHX EZY base but I think this is jumping many steps ahead and (as things stand) is very unlikely to happen. We have to remember that they launched BFS and GVA (I think) in 2007 and this is their first new route out of BHX since then.....However, it is encouraging that they have seen the potential at BHX and have taken on a trunk domestic route (with competition). I would therefore be surprised on this basis if EDI doesn't follow, then perhaps later on ABZ and a long shot INV. There are a lot of regular travellers who will be very tempted to try EZY and I think the route will be extremely successful. How will BE react?

The well-publicised eventual disposal by BE of BHX-CDG and AMS slots cannot be ignored either and I think EZY would be mad to miss out on these opportunities.

I think there are a number of other existing EZY bases that could also support BHX flights: Barcelona, Lisbon, Lyon, Milan, Toulouse, Venice come to mind. In addition, there are a host of other EZY destinations that I think stand a very good chance working at BHX (on both existing routes and new routes) but of course this would need a full blown BHX base.

The future of BE at BHX is far from certain in the 'Connect Airways' future (given the public statements so far about the importance of MAN and LHR and long haul feed) so it could be that EZY are testing the waters with a view to being much better placed in the future to take on some routes vacated by BE should there be a cull in their operations.

All in all a very interesting and welcome development for BHX, how significant it really is and where it could lead to, only time will tell!