Thread: FlyBe Sim Check
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2003, 18:35
impartial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil cv cv and more cvs

Cheers JarJam, hopefully see you soon!!

Bob

I handed Don Darby a completed application form when he visited Oxford back in September 2001 (before I had completed my IR). I then kept updating him when I passed my IR, when I finished my MCC and at regular intervals. Like JarJam I must have sent 8 - 10 CVs before I got "the call!!"

I have Guernsey Residency rights which were pointed out on the application form and on all the following CVs (which I'm sure is one of the main draws for me)

I finally got an interview in April this year and a sim check in May. I have been contacting the company regularly for updates on my progress in the holding pool. Then a few weeks ago they wanted me to go for another sim check on the BAE146 sim indicating that there would be a job shortly after if I was successful.

I was told last week that the sim went well, however I am back in the holding pool and they have no indication of a start date as yet.

It is a long up hill struggle and from my own experience and knowledge of the experiences of others, simply sending cv's out isn't the way to get a job. Every covering letter and CV should be tailored to the company it is being sent to. It seems to be important to follow up your cv's by visits or phone calls. It is a fine balance between being enthusiastic and being a nuisance so be careful.

Unfortunately it seems a lot of "right place right time", and "not what you know but who you know", is still out there. The job market has definitely been picking up and having been watching it for the last 2 years the last few months have seen a more positive outlook.

It is difficult. My phone call came just as I was seriously contemplating a career change and forgetting airlines.

I wish all of you out there the best of luck in your job searches. (I still need luck, I'm not in there yet, and there's a lot more learning and training to come) If I can help then I will, but the only person, at the end of the day, who can get you a job, is you.

Best wishes

Imp