PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair UK pilots vote for strike
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2019, 07:12
Boeing 7E7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBJ-Captain
There are hundreds of contract pilots within Ryanair.
I presume that Balpa (as the recognised union within Ryanair) will insist on these ‘temporary contract’ pilots will be released from service before a single striking/Balpa member is given mandatory redundancy?!
I doubt it.
One thing I’ve learned about Balpa over the many years of membership is that they like to talk and shout and organise and incite action from the pilots, but when it comes down to it, they rarely elect to fight the battle themselves.
Its a standard given that you can’t keep ‘full time’ contractors on the books and have them working and flying, whilst making permanent staff redundant.

Personally I am glad for the girls’n’guys who will put their head above the parapet and actually strike. Unfortunately, Ryanair will target them and dismiss them. This is precisely why MOL made the press release stating that there will be job cuts. It’s an attempt to legitimise the dismissals, and the ‘zero hour’ Storm contracts will see the agency pilots sit out a month of flying (which they have to have off every year anyway in a thinly vailed attempt to try and convince the rest of the world’s tax authorities they aren’t permanent employees) to again try and validate the airlines downsizing.
Let’s just see what Balpa does the help them when the axe comes falling.

Finally, I wish all at easyjet the best from the Ryanair management ship jumping;
First there was WB
Old rostering manager - JB
Old DDFO - SC
Old DFO/COO - PB

easyJet’s ‘Orange Spirit’ will soon be blue and yellow!
More misinformed nonsense. It would be illegal for Ryanair to dismiss workers for striking under an organised Trade Union strike. So Ryanair will not do it, for fear of illegal dismissal claims which would be easily proved, resulting in huge numbers of claims carrying unlimited costs to the company.

This is the power of having a trade union. This is why companies, the likes of Ryanair will seek to move heaven and earth to not have union recognition in the first place and spread misinformation and false hoods to try and limit industrial action.