PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Interviews rant
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2019, 18:29
Right Engine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sheppey
A major international airline in New Zealand give candidates a simulator check as part of the interview process. Keep in mind the applicant almost certainly has never flown the type of simulator used for the assessment.
There is the usual instrument approach (ILS) as well as intercepting radials inbound and outbound. Steep turns are thrown in for good measure. The check pilot then deliberately needles or tries to distract the candidate during the flight by asking inane questions, including among other things, the endurance based on current fuel state while at the same time the applicant is trying to figure out an entry into the hold prior to the ILS. The theory being he is testing how the applicant copes with stress and distraction despite the fact that the testing officer is not a qualified psychologist. How do you accurately measure stress and distraction? All very subjective nonsense.
TOP TIP: Part of that ‘distraction’ is knowing when to say “I’m concentrating on the flying. Let me answer that when I’ve done the A+N of ANC”