PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA422 smoke incident Valencia
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2019, 10:27
WHBM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by straightrecord
Just a bit of care towards the elderly and those with small children would have been lovely. When you walk away from an emergency evacuation you don’t think “wow I’m so lucky to have escaped I feel like I want to sit on a carousel for hours without water”. You kind of want to be cared for until your senses come around from the shock and you want someone to help you sort yourself out.
I think we are very grateful to Mr (or Ms) Straightrecord for a first hand regular passenger account of being in an emergency evacuation, and all the collateral that happens (or, in this case, didn't happen). Airline top management commonly rely nowadays just on reports from the local management (such as they are) for how it went, and of course they are not going to write anything negative about themselves.

Alas I'm old enough to remember (probably when Alex Cruz was still in short trousers) the days when BA had a very firm plan should such a serious incident happen to one of their flights. Instantly it was whichever available managers, right up to directors, were first to an aircraft at Heathrow, generally it was to be one of the Shuttle Backup aircraft for immediate availability with crew, a pre-prepared set of stores and supplies loaded, and they were off to the location to supplement the local team. Now that we are all IAG, Madrid headquarters are less than an hour from Valencia. Did anybody from there go down ?

In passing, has Alex Cruz spoken or written personally, not PR department boilerplate word processing, to any of the affected passengers ?