PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair UK pilots vote for strike
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2019, 02:45
UAV689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alycidon
Until of course you compare pilot remuneration with that of the nurses, firefighters, policemen, teachers and local authority workers who will all have to pay the price of pilot "sweatshop" wages when their holiday plans are stuffed by industrial action - or should that be inaction? What do they tell their kids when they are sitting in the queues at STN, I doubt they'll feel much in the way of solidarity.

Are you seriously comparing pilot pay in the UK with the wages of a seamstress from Dhaka who works with no time limits on her shift patterns and little health and safety protection from Hazchem such as bleaching agents, azo dyes, pottasium permanganate, hearing loss from weaving machinery and sandblasting, or lax age limits for child workers?

reality check perhaps?

i course i am not comparing a pilots wages to the above trades, but then again does the above trade pay over 100k for their training for a zero hour contract? I would love for those guys to get more money, we all know they deserve it!

I always back the workers side, because ultimately we always work for someone, and invariably that someone wants to lower costs no matter who they are...

My comparison to the awful fashion industry one does have some merit however. Look at the ryr crew page on fb and you will see cabin crew living 3 to a bedroom in bishops stortford. Yes it is not a factory in dhaka, but it is not the standard you would expect of a 1b profit machine in western europe...but if it gives people a £10 ticket then its ok I suppose....

Its amazing the difference in attitude to a ryr strike vs a ba one!