PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA422 smoke incident Valencia
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2019, 07:46
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I know that many of you still operate the Airbus can anyone tell us:

Is there an Emergency drill for Smoke/Fumes in the cabin? I assume that like most aircraft it is possible to depressurise the aircraft and isolate all sources of cabin conditioning?

As an interested passenger, there seem to be an increasing number of these incidents? I am aware that many go unreported. Interested in comment,

If incident frequency were taken into account, smoke hoods with effective VOC filters should be at every seat - more so than life vests!
Earlier in this thread it was stated,

The flight crew MUST be able to breathe clearly and for that they have positive pressure full face masks (looks like a firemans breathing aparatus or scuba if you're curious) as if they succumb to smoke, everyone dies. In the cabin, positive pressure masks are not practical, so they have a chemical oxygen generator. The chemical generator generates an incredible amount of heat and of course, oxygen (see ValuJet Flight 592 for details), and what fuels fires? If they generate more heat and more oxygen, they could easily worsen the situation - which is why it's not recommended. They are not pressurised masks, just supplementary oxygen that doesn't stop the user breathing in the external ambient smoke/fumes anyway.
Is this true, are we stating the the chemical oxygen generator is not fit for purpose as it is likely to catch fire if used?