Old 6th Aug 2019, 04:13
minigundiplomat

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Hughes500
Merely pointing out the following

As 350 would be quicker, cheaper and more accurate with a longline, reasons

1. Longline with single pilot more accurate so bags could be placed not dropped
2. The pick up could be much closer to the dam and hence shorter flight time
3. Pilot would be more used to a high number of cycles per hour along with the crew eg probably a bag every 1.5 minutes or so
4. Like flying on instruments lifting quickly and safely and accurately is a perishable skill
5. Takes seconds to hook a bag on to a longline hook
6. Most RAF pilots don't do it that regularly. I am just a novice at doing it as i have around 700 hours lifting. The military dont fly a huge amount of hours and not solely lifting, not their fault it is all to do with budgets.

It is really tools for the job.
I would agree that great training exercise, great PR for RAF and shows the public that we sorely need our military. but the question was is it cheaper and more efficient !
I can't make up my mind up whether you are a troll, or just a d1ck.

I spent about 2000 hours slinging loads on Chinooks - everything from bags of aggregate to boats, to containers, to towers. But I'll bend to your 700 hours of p1ssing around in a paraffin budgie. Yes, they should have got Jo Blow with his squirrel in, as long as the weather is good, which it wasn't.

We get it, your company has idle AS350's. If your phone didn't ring, there may have been a reason.