PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any military aircraft still using braking parachutes ?
Old 5th Aug 2019, 13:48
ACW342

Location: 75' from the runway edge and 150' from the threshold
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Weather cocking

Correct me if I'm wrong but surely the last thing you want connected to your "Aeroplane" when landing on a snowy or icy runway is a dirty great parachute, unless of course you can guarantee a straight down the runway wind. I should imagine if you were landing with say, a wind 20° or 30° off and at around 15 gusting lots , it doesn't matter where YOU want the Aeroplane to go, the brake chute is going to dictate that particular matter. I have watched, when acting as recovery (an airman in a landrover near the overshoot end who collects or recovers the brake chutes from aircraft who have streamed the brake chute. I used to hate the arrival of a Victor!) the shenanigans of Lightenings (English Electric sort) and Jaguars streaming in gusting conditions, great fun but I kept the vehicle engine running and in gear.Of course I do stand to be corrected by those in the know quoting various instructions on when you can and can't stream but hey, the wind never read those, or the forecast.