PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair downsizing
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2019, 03:56
Crepello

Shining Example, apparently...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fox niner
The way Rayanair [sic] tried to close down their Eindhoven base was insulting.
An insult to the whole country and contemptuous to the way things are run here. That is why they could not win. If you start business here, there are many opportunities to make money. But being a company/employer, that automatically makes you responsible for your workforce if you choose to close down.
Dont like that? Well, readcthe verdict.
That responsibility in NON-negotiable. I have tried to explain that a few months ago.
A company does not have to take care of its employees ONLY if it goes bust. That is why these proceedings are such a great read. It is almost funny how Ryr tried to twist the facts in Eindhoven. Looking forward to their appeal. What an outfit.
Yet apparently EIN was underperforming financially - perhaps unsurprising, given NL's labor regulation and hideously high cost of simply attempting to conduct business. Seems entirely fair for a company to curtail operations anywhere that isn't paying its way. And workers are responsible for their own destiny - not their employer, not any government - it's called personal accountability. But no, the Dutch courts appear to disagree - a sage reminder to any entity considering investing in, creating employment in The Netherlands. In short, *don't* - unless you've immense reserves to cover the risk. I'm curious as to why MOL would make such a costly error - though I wonder if he was blackmailed into "investing" in order to be granted landing slots?

Not a fan of MOL as an individual, but I admire all he's accomplished. And anything he can to to weaken unions will benefit the traveling public. Strikes grind my gears - you don't like your pay/conditions, go work for somebody else, rather than issuing ransom demands against the very people who pay your wages.

I lived in The Netherlands for several years of frustration - understaffed businesses, endemically hideous customer service, and little being done where *I* worked because at any given time, half the payroll seemed to be on vacation (paid), taking a half day (paid), experiencing a personal emergency (paid) or indefinite sick leave due to 'stress' - naturally, on full pay. Occasionally we *would* get a solid day's work done, but I heard that all the successful Dutch entrepreneurs had already emigrated, so I moved to Texas - bingo! Booming economy thanks to low costs of employment, and people can be fired on the spot for any reason, anytime - so we're productive and dedicated, and give our customers the respect they deserve. See a plot of land you like in one of our fast growing cities? Boom - you can open a retail establishment there within about 6 weeks from permit applications to breaking ground. California would take 3 years, plus who knows how many back-handers to corrupt liberal politicians. Benelux.... I'm assuming it would be deemed "not possible". :P