PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots vote to strike
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 11:24
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tight Accountant
I will have to look at the IAG Annual Report to see which numbers you are picking up. I don't know the history between BA and the pilots; apparently they took a salary cut or changed T&C's when things were lean? However, one thing I do find strange about BA employees' perception on how BA as a firm should behave it is the idea that it is workers cooperative, where the fruits of the labour and rewards are equally shared. I get the impression that this is a legacy from being a State owned airline which hasn't quite diminished.
I do not believe for one moment that BA staff consider the company as a worker’s co-operative but there is nothing wrong with wanting to share on the companies success when it is making seriously good profits, and especially after the management said it could not have been achieved without their efforts.

Quite some years ago I owned and ran a small aviation related company. My small team were paid for the work they did, regardless. However when we made good profits, we usually did, I shared that success with them in the form of a Christmas bonus. It worked, they had something tangible to show for their loyalty and good work, not just fine words.

Now, I wonder, just what the Directors in BA receive as THEIR profit related bonus ( directors ’bonuses are very tax efficient) and how that is related to company profits and why key staff should not, similarly, share in success.