PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS 2011 grounding about to be revisited?
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 03:06
dragon man

Received 600 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Going Boeing
The official figures given by QF management is that the shutdown cost $190M plus $62M in legal costs - everyone suspects that these figures understate the costs significantly. As Joyce was given very little of what he asked for by FWA, I can't see him being stupid enough to go down that path again.

Manwell, I think your memory is failing - Rod Eddington was the CEO of Ansett, not Australian (James Strong) and 100% of his salary was paid by News Corp, no wonder he didn't look after Air NZ's interests. The Federal government wanted to sell Australian due to its precarious financial position following the Domestic Pilots Dispute in 1989 and wanted $400M for it. SQ was the only other serious potential buyer an, after due dilligence, they offered $125M which was probably a fair price considering the level of debt. As QF was still government owned, strings were pulled to have QF buy TN for the full $400M that the government wanted and it gave QF the domestic capacity that they wanted. Prior to this, QF & AN had a commercial agreement to put passengers on each others services - the loss of this on-carriage hurt AN significantly when TN was purchased. Apologies for the thread drift.
Not a drift but a good correction I’d say.