PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS 2011 grounding about to be revisited?
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 00:41
What The

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QANTAS 2011 grounding about to be revisited?

Given the recent statement made by the head of the ALAEA on this website that PÍA is a possibility with the Engineers EBA negotiations and the distinct possibility that Qantas Pilots will again be forced into PÍA in order to pursue improvements in workplace conditions are we about to see 2011 revisited?

Given that Alan Joyce has been paid the following over 10 years is he really so concerned with the salaries of his technical staff that he is prepared once again to go to war?

2018 10,869,000
2017 24,584,000
2016 12,960,000
2015 11,884,000
2014 2,009,000
2013 3,331,000
2012 2,280,000
2011 4,071,000
2010 2,924,000
2009 3,664,000
* * *$78,576,000***

Alan, I will give you a tip. Your inability to engage with your operational employees in any meaningful way is costing the company a fortune. Your petty squabbles over small sums (compared to your salary) means that you have lost the big picture of the cost of a disengaged workforce.

Your employees don’t wish to fight with you, they just want their fair share of the spoils having taken numerous pay freeze hits when times were tough. Given what happened to your salary in 15/16 when the last of the pay freezes was implemented is it any wonder that the troops are staging a revolt.

They are not stupid and they are not blind. What they are are decent hardworking people who keep the show on the road whilst you are tucked up in a warm bed.

Your $2500 bribe was seen as an enormous slap in the face which lost a lot of goodwill in an instant. If you don’t believe me run a real engagement survey. You know, one where you don’t just record the answers about how I get on with my workmates. The reason that answer is always improving, by the way, is because the operations staff are all growing closer as a result of your actions to marginalize them.

Think about that. As the CEO your inability to engage with your workforce has resulted in your workforce engaging against you. If that is the legacy you hoped to leave then great. If not then I am sorry but that is what you will be remembered for by those who are left after this company has been sold out from underneath them.

The major shareholders must be very happy having recouped their original investments through the share buybacks and dividend distributions that have taken place over the last few years. Unfortunately for the next CEO the fleet renewal vacuum will place a major strain on capital and borrowings and may well cripple the business. As there is nothing left to sell, and the likelihood of a share placement at current prices is highly unlikely at best the inability to raise capital will mean that once again the employees will be asked to sacrifice to “save the business from terminal decline”.

Sound familiar?

The only difference this time is that you and your consultants will have ridden off into the sunset with your millions and have nothing to lose.

Engage meaningfully with your workforce Alan, for all our sakes.

Last edited by What The; 23rd Jul 2019 at 05:36.