PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disappointing F35 display at RIAT
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 14:20
Bob Viking

Received 549 Likes on 150 Posts
Too much time on my hands.

Since I have nothing better to do right now I will explain a little further.

What pilots can do and what they can be authorised to do as part of a display are two very different things. Especially since the Shoreham crash.

I feel sure that any RAF or RN F35 pilot could make a decent stab at an interesting display.

Take the Typhoon display as an example. The display pilot will be chosen from several suitably qualified applicants. In fact, due to operational commitments this year’s display pilot is the same as last year to reduce the training burden. He or she will then commence a work up in the first half of the year.

The work up will typicaly be discussed and planned with the input of experienced individuals (the previous seasons display pilot will often serve as the display supervisor for the following season or at least for the work up).

Once the display has been designed it will be practiced at ever decreasing heights until the pilot is able to perform safely and consistently to the display parameters.

During the season the pilot will usually travel with a spare jet and a supervisor (the supervisor will often fly the spare).

The whole process from selection of the pilot to public display approval may take 2-3 months (someone feel free to interject if my timelines are out). Typically there will be about 20-30 flights or maybe more. Especially for a new type such as the F35.

The aim is to have a display that can be performed safely to the enjoyment of the assembled masses.

The senior officer who approved the display has to be satisfied it is safe and interesting enough to justify the expense. For it is he or she that will be in the dock if the jet crashes into a crowd and must prove that all necessary steps were taken to ensure the whole process was adequately thought through.

Display pilots have been removed from their role before when they haven’t performed adequately.

You see, it’s not quite as simple as grabbing a jet and going up diddly up for the crowds. Now more so than ever.

For the F35 there is the added complication of the fact that there are no previous display pilots to speak to. Designing the display from first principles will probably involve asking previous display pilots from other types to get involved.

I hope that helps to explain my earlier posts which may have been a little terse.

BV