PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 TR guys drying up?
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2003, 06:47
buttline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got taken on by an operator for a 737 operation (not self-sponsored). Was told at interview that there's not many 737 rated guys out there at the moment. Don't know whether that meant not typed or not experienced or both.

However, have heard that Ryan Air are not taking on new guys until next year and those recently brought on for the 200 are having to be swapped over to the 800 due to the problems discovered on the 200. Haven't heard of anyone getting into Ryan Air with basic self-sponsored TR that's not from one of their approved TRTOs but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Knowing someone at Ryan Air is a big help.

I know of a few guys who did self-sponsored TRs (Bond) who made it into eJ - but they did get lucky with the timing - it's not an established route. How many more 737 guys will they need now the A319s are arriving....?

Bottom line - it's a gamble. I'd say go for it if you have plenty of cash - but I wouldn't borrow the money to do it - too risky... I'd also do it around March to try and catch the charter opportunities...

Last edited by buttline; 4th Nov 2003 at 07:06.