PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2019, 23:26
etudiant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Same again
I have to say that I find your simplistic view equally disturbing. Certification is only one part of our profession. The other equally if not more important parts are practice, currency and the knowledge of our own limitations. Which is why a fully certified ATPL(H) holder with an AW139 type rating and 10,000 hours R22 hours has an accident.

I ride a large, powerful motorbike. I passed my licence test 30 years ago and have never had to re-certify. Which is why, if I have not ridden all winter, I have my first ride on a nice, dry day in Spring, ride quiet roads slowly and get used to the controls and riding again. I don't start on a dark, wet night on a busy road taking the bends at high speed.
All that is well and good for recreational use, but here we're focused on a pair of very experienced professionals, working in their professional capacity, with first rate equipment.
Moreover, this crew would surely be especially alert if they were indeed required to fly an aircraft that they had expressed reservations about.
We don't know what that issue was, or whether it may be a related factor. But this flight was clearly not routine, so the claims of crew distraction/inattention seem implausible to me.

Given the catastrophic result, if there were no mechanical issues, one would have to question the adequacy of current regulations to ensure safety.