PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2019, 01:00
megan

Received 398 Likes on 210 Posts
Pilots who blithely state that this should never happen to an experienced pilot flying a highly automated helicopter simply do not understand the risks involved
Stridently agreed, only hope one of our brethren has taken the message on board.
Hot and Hi - I am utterly surprised, and shocked at the same time, about the level of excuses you career ATP’s have for fellow aviators failing to keep the blue side up (“can happen to anyone ... can happen to the best ... can happen to me”)!

What is the difference between a dark night (“deep IMC”, whoa, what a word) and, say, being in a cloud. The only problem with IMC is if you don’t realize you are in IMC, and continue flying by the seat of your pants.

Why would an IMC departure over water (read “no obstacles”) ever be a problem? Some airspeed, positive climb, attitude, heading. Come on, you got those instruments, not? Plus in an AW you can set the AP, and then focus on your customs declaration.

I do not understand how a plethora of honorable posters before me concede they too could have put her into the drink under similar circumstances.