PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA almost hits the wall!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2019, 17:43
Vokes55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alland2012
Question for any of you guys that have flown the JSI Route, I seem to recall someone once telling me only the Captain can land there,which I found odd. Is there any truth in that ?
For most, if not all, airlines, it’s not only “captains only”, it’s captains that have been specifically trained to land (and take off) here, including an airport visit with a trainer.

So no, it’s not somebody who’s used to flying ILS to ILS and can’t handle a NPA as somebody suggested earlier.

The upslope on the runway does give the impression of being high on 01, combined with the short runway can probably contribute to being low on final approach. I don’t think any pilot in 2019 is going to intentionally fly low into a place where they know their actions are being filmed and will be on social media before they’ve set the parking brake. If there was any form of “showboating” involved, it would almost certainly been driven by the desire to make the intersection turn-off, rather than to intentionally fly low on the approach.

Armchair pilots continue...