PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2019, 07:15
Same again

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Etudiant:
I have seen no reason to distrust the crew
Read through the thread again. No one is saying that the crew could not be trusted. They were apparently highly experienced and competent. It may have been a mechanical failure and that should quickly become apparent once the accident investigators issue a statement. Meanwhile on this forum people use their experience and knowledge to discuss what 'might' have been the cause. Had this been a day VFR, overland departure then a mechanical failure would be the most likely cause of two experienced pilots flying an inverted AW139 into the ground. But (as far as we know) it was a night departure over water (which is worse than normal IMC) in response to a medical emergency flown by two pilots who were not current in this type of operation.

Unless you have yourself flown a departure in those circumstances you will not understand the difficulties and risks involved. As a former military, offshore, HEMS and SAR pilot I have done this many times and occassionally felt very uncomfortable despite the fact that I was experienced and current. Yes the AW139 has many automated features that are extremely useful in assisting this kind of take-off. For instance SAR crews do not generally operate to any normal weather limitations and the AW139 can fly a safe, departure in IMC conditions (fog) surrounded by obstacles from a confined area using coupled flight director modes. BUT it is a technique flown by an experienced, NVG and FLIR equipped crew of four who practice this on a daily basis in all conditions and are regularly tested.

Pilots who blithely state that this should never happen to an experienced pilot flying a highly automated helicopter simply do not understand the risks involved.