PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2019, 12:26
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
How many times must you actually throw switches and such for an engine failure?

In the Bell 212/412 Sim I watched crews kill themselves doing just as you describe when in reality....they could have carried on and returned for a safe landing having touched nothing.

I referred to the "Dipped Shoulder Syndrome"....Caution Light illuminates along with a Master Caution....and immediately one crew member reaches for the Emergency checklist.

That to me is very bad Karma or bad JuJu....and signals a great failure to "Think" first and act later.

I also opined often that the Crew should take "Immediate Action"....reset the Master Caution and start the Clock.....then carefully consider what they are seeing.

That way their urge to do something is answered....but they did nothing that would harm them or make the situation worse than it is.

Of course there are certain malfunctions that do require some immediate reactions but they are few and fortunately very rare.

Generally, none require much in the way of switch moving.

We have to face reality....most helicopters are not that complex as compared to some large airplanes when it comes to systems control.

So why do we make things difficult when they could be a lot simpler?

I personally believe if you have to refer to a checklist to operate a helicopter....you might just be in the wrong business.

Checklists are supposed to be aids....not rituals that must be worshipped.