PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA PPL USA recommended flight schools?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2019, 14:49
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
There's not really much more to it, is a big decision to make and I've only shared my opinion - the next guy may well give completely different advice. Mine is based on experience (holding both FAA and EASA licences) a knowledge of the regulations and a nose for sniffing out loopholes. I made a lot of mistakes and spent way more money than I needed to. Everyone is different and the best/easiest/cheapest route depends a lot on ability. You have 200 hours to fly but only 100 can be training since you need 100 PIC. If you use up 60 hours dual just getting your PPL, the FAA route probably isn't worth it because it'll take you over the 200, but if you can get close to minimums then it works. Training continuously is the best way to get it done in minimums as there's no time for skill fade.
The big points to remember are the CPL needs 200 hours, so always do the IR first, other wise you'll end up with 217 hours. Apart from your 100 pic, you should always have an instructor with you teaching you something - the difference between 40 hours solo and a 40 hour IR is just the cost of the instruction. It baffles me when people tell me they went to Florida, hour built up to 175 then did a CPL, then did an IR. For $2000 in instructor/fees they could have got an FAA IR. That alone will take the EASA MEIR minimums from 15plane/40sim down to 5plane/10sim, but if you get 50 hours IFR during your hour building and convert via CBIR the are no minimums - none. I'm not for one second saying that you won't need training, but the potential is there. Provided you use your hour building time productively - I'm talking about getting a flight tracking app and flying an ILS, and a procedural NDB with missed approaches every single flight, taking a CFII along every 5th flight as an 'observer' and generally make yourself the most proficient IFR pilot you can - then you should only need a few sorties for your IR and you can literally save thousands. Little things matter - whatever single and multi you fly in the States - make sure you use the same type in the UK. It takes skill, knowledge and hard work and doesn't suit everyone.