PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Airlines Flight DL-1425 ATL-BWI, MD-88, diverted to RDU due to engine failure
Old 14th Jul 2019, 16:23
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
No, there have been documented cases of blue ice (the result of a leaky lav dump valve) releasing and being ingested into the engine (on the same aircraft). More of a risk with aft mounted engines than with wing mounted engines, although there were a few incidents with 737 Jurassics (-100/200).
There was a rather famous event on a 727 - I'm going to say around 1970 but I could be off a few years. Anyway, blue ice ingestion cause the engine to seize - by design the engine mount failed (the loads when an engine rotor seizes at speed are tremendous, so the mount was designed to fail to prevent more serious airframe damage) and they dropped the engine into a field 30,000 ft. below.
TD - I know of two events - one in 1985(+/-) and one later. The second one was on a north/south route ORD/MSP/DFW towards FL??? The 1985 event was DFW(?) to SAN. The engine came off near El Paso. I had the FE CKA as a CKA in training about 30 yrs afterwards. Flying with a new FE so he was riding the jumpseat. He said the engine gauges died so they assumed a frozen engine. No vibration. He walked to the back of the 727 and spoke with the F/A's and also to check on noise or vibration. There was none. He tried looking at the windows but it was very scratched and basically unusable. All indications support a frozen engine theory. They continue on two engines to SAN. On taxi in SAN ground says "where'd you lose the engine?" Near El Paso. Ground asks "did it hit anyone?" Huh!!??!??! That was the first clue that things might be different than they're thinking. Walked around the nose of the airplane and looked back - engine's gone.