PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2019, 11:15
AAKEE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Non-PC Plod
I personally dont think simple rules are sufficient. Training and practice are essential if you want a good outcome.
Spot on. I’ll throw in [established procedures] also.
If you don’t have procedures, MCC and training on it, Id say it will be virtually single pilot operations with a witness to the left of the single PF. How is the PNF supposed to support the PF, what values are the limiting factors he need to monitor during take off, when should he make very importand call outs and what is the actuall call outs and what is the actions needed?

Some posters has stated this kind of flight should’nt be a problem/dangerous. That would be the case with the right procedures, right training and a currency on these procedures.
Without proper procedures, training and proficient crew I see almost a tick in every box for a disaster. I don’t think I need to list them as most already are covered in this thread already.

I do not know anything about the crew training, procedures etc in this case, but generally speaking without this it is a very high risk operation.
I know that this kind of operations or similar has bitten a lot of crews in the back that actually ’was born’ in this type of environment( Navy, SAR etc.) during the years.

This flight can be made quite safe, but it could also be very dangerous. I would’nt put a technical fault first in the probability list, but Im also sure that if the procedures arent water tight it would only take a minor problem to draw attention from the most important tasks in the very wrong time. It is so easy to get fooled by an non important issue in the most critical phase, if not drilled numerous times in a sim.