PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2019, 22:37
sea plane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a moonless night down here. I do not think it was CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain). This accident speaks more of a spatial disorientation with Uncontrolled Flight into the water due to the level of destruction to the aircraft. We see this all the time down here on moonless nights, transitioning over land to over open water.

Anyone that says these pilots were too experienced to have that happen... you need to reassess yourself and realize it can happen to any pilot regardless of time and experience. If a pilot is not current in the exact conditions of this night then they are at risk. It can happen to any of us.

I flew that night. It was DEEP IMC over the water. DEEP, DARK. Challenging flight conditions for sure. I fly the moonless nights over water regularly down here. It is hard core.

It was 2 am, factor in the time, fatigue, pressure....it can happen to even the best, most experienced pilots. These guys certainly seem top notch but again, spatial disorientation with a very deep hole departure can lead to a crash for any of us....high or low time.