PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Airlines Flight DL-1425 ATL-BWI, MD-88, diverted to RDU due to engine failure
Old 9th Jul 2019, 16:57
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sporg
I'm surprised this isn't much in the news or in here at all:

From The Aviation Herald:
"A Delta Airlines McDonnell Douglas MD-88, registration N906DL performing flight DL-1425 from Atlanta,GA to Baltimore,MD (USA) with 154 people on board, was enroute at FL330 about 30nm northwest of Raleigh/Durham,NC (USA) when the crew decided to divert to Raleigh/Durham due to a problem with one of the engines (JT8D). The aircraft landed safely on runway 23R about 30 minutes later.
The airline reported the crew received indication of a possible engine issue and diverted to Raleigh/Durham. "

That sounds innocent enough, but the reason I'm checking in here is a Facebook video, apparently from one of the passengers, Becca Montouth, that seems to show the whole first stage turbine missing, and the spinner rumbling around in the casing?

Have anyone in here heard about this incident?

I'm not allowed to post links due to too few posts, but maybe one of you can look it up on AVHerald and also find Becca Montouth's video on Facebook?
(I'm also not placing a picture of her video, out of respect for her claim of licensing rights. But it looks like a pretty bad failure.)
I saw the video. Bearings glowing red hot. Nose cone of the spinner bouncing around in the inlet like it's in the drawer on spin dry!