PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old B747SP incident in Buenos Aries
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2019, 00:35
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdracer
I have a vague recollection of 'coffee pot' discussion of an event that sounds like this one - what my coworkers described was an over-rotation on takeoff - inlet separation cause 3 engines to surge (two unrecoverable), they circled around while dumping fuel and landed.
Events of that type meant much tougher requirements for inlet performance at high angles of attack for the 767 and for the 747 re-engine with the JT9D-7R4G2.
I had seen the complete video of that one taken by a passenger behind the port wing. It starts out on taxi out (boring) and then continues through the takeoff. After liftoff (normal) and passing over the end of the runway below, you can see the flame spurts from the right engine followed by the hedgerows below rising up into closeup views.At that point the aircraft has descended below the horizon from the tower view and the equipment was being called, then the film is cut-off only to come back on much later in and out of clouds with fuel dump pouring out of the wing. The sound is heard of the pilot saying not to worry and that he expects the ground staff will be already to meet them and rebook them on alternate flights. The passengers reported no-ground staff ever met them (went home).

I recall (subject to the official report) The investigation showed that most of the engines were heavily worn with little EGT margin (as purchased from PE by CO). The FDR showed the crew over pitched the aircraft after the first engine quit (nonresponsive in an engine stall condition). The other engines continued to operate during the turnback but likely may have experience a short powerloss while pitched up.

I have seen clips from that video in the public arena since then.