PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide pilot experience too low?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2019, 21:33
semmern

Location: Utterly insignificant little blue-green planet, unregarded yellow sun, unfashionable end, western spiral arm, Milky Way
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoOne
A CV with 1500 hrs in Cessna in Europe will be considered a joke and go straight to the trash bin. Most of pilots with that much of irrelevant experience would struggle to adopt and live up to the airline requirements, same goes for the fast jet pilots. Not what many would like to hear but true.
What a load of crock. Several of my esteemed colleagues and friends had around that number of hours when they got their jobs. No problems adjusting and living up, they are all excellent pilots. In aviation, absolutely NO experience is irrelevant, be it gliders, helicopters, light twins and whatnot. No experience at all, on the other hand, is where it gets interesting. The most dangerous time in a pilot’s career is when he or she has 3-800 hours or thereabouts, because you think you’re starting to get on top of things, but really, you have a very limited idea of what’s going on.

Myself, I had around 1200 hours when I got my job on the 737. Around 500 hours instructing in 172s, a couple of hundred instructing in Cubs and Tiger Moths, and the rest larking about in the Cub, Moth and various other ancient aerial contraptions. Would not have gone without that experience for any amount of money. That includes partial power loss due to a stuck valve, fuel leak, nearly spinning in from low altitude due to miscommunication wih a student, and so on. One day, some tiny part of it just might stand me in good steed when Murphy comes to visit. Oh, and nobody has yet complained about me not adapting or living up