PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Control In-Flight - Flight Crew training
Old 8th Jul 2019, 04:27
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Meester proach
They’ve been banging the Upset recovery gong ever since AF. Every bloody sim now, boom, some crazy attitude.

this whole magenta line children thing is fairly bogus really. BA have taken and trained low hour cadets since the 60s and have they had any crashes attributable to it ?no.

And as for whoever is on about hand flying up to RVSM....yeah great idea....NOT. For a start my pet cat could follow the FD in what will be many staright lines - and don’t suggest raw data - it would be a bad call to try that in the busy TMAs we operate in, not to mention putting your often tired workmates workload through the roof.
You have to balance flying practice with operational safety/ common sense.

I do think every sim should have loss of airspeed and raw data ILS though .
I seriously doubt doing an ILS raw data twice year is going to do wonders for my hand flying skills. I have been doing this for 2 decades, and it is easy to get used to the automation. Thankfully (for me at least) my company gives us a lot of leeway, and lets us do anything from raw data to auto-land, (conditions/equipment permitting). After having the FD and/or AT deferred a few times, I realized I wasn't entirely comfortable going back to basics and have since made it a habit of (again, circumstances permitting) departing/arriving without the use of AP/FD/AT. It certainly has benefited my hand-flying skills, and my confidence in handling unexpected situations. I also have seen quite a few FOs, after a few legs, doing the same, and expressing gratitude at being able to practice skills they felt were eroding after flying fully automated for a few years. If you honestly feel you couldn't hand fly while in a busy TMA, I respectfully wonder if you should do it more, so you would be comfortable...