PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin flight diverts due to cabin fire
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2019, 00:08
WingNut60

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wtsmg

You trying to get off the diversion aircraft of your own accord is a huge pain in the arse, especially if you have a bag in the hold. It is not a bus service where you can just hop on and off. There have been flights delayed on the ground for many hours because a passenger insisted on getting off and it took hours for the ground crew to rock up with steps on a remote stand and the facilities necessary to get you to border control. One passenger kicking off about getting off when an aircraft has diverted can cause a massive further amount of disruption and delays for everyone else around them.
I am truly sorry for being so unreasonable, but I was actually referring to what happens when you have been diverted AND de-planed. And now you're waiting for someone to tell you what happens next.
I understand that in some cases it may be impractical for a passenger to disembark from an aircraft that is simply being held over for weather at destination to clear but I'm guessing that in a high proportion of diversion incidents, it is necessary to de-plane the passengers anyway.
Such as when one of the first class seats catches on fire.
It also applies, however, to when you have not yet been allowed to board the aircraft in the first case, for whatever reason.
When it's still half way between you and somewhere very distant, for instance.

In fact, it applies in many circumstances where the carrier decides that they'd like to run your life for you.
Me? I like to control my own options.

Mr Unreasonable