Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Virgin flight diverts due to cabin fire

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Virgin flight diverts due to cabin fire

Old 5th Jul 2019, 08:07
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin flight diverts due to cabin fire

Sounds like a Lion power pack was crushed an ignited, very concerning

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/05/uk-bo...fire-10118204/


Final 3 Greens is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 08:26
  #2 (permalink)  
ZFT
N4790P
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 73
Posts: 2,250
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Slightly surprised anyone needs either a power pack (or charger) today as USB ports are so readily available.

Power packs are banned from checked bags by many airlines and extending this ban to include usage on board would seem to make sense?
ZFT is online now  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 08:35
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Age: 71
Posts: 881
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZFT
Slightly surprised anyone needs either a power pack (or charger) today as USB ports are so readily available.

Power packs are banned from checked bags by many airlines and extending this ban to include usage on board would seem to make sense?
Some airlines include in their safety briefing cards that if a phone or battery pack is lost down into seating to call cabin staff and for passengers not to attempt to retrieve on their own.
I can well imagine that an otherwise safe battery pack might become problematic if munched in a seat mechanism or otherwise damaged by heavy-handed retrieval.

There is no intrinsic reason for a small battery pack to be anymore troublesome than a phone.
The exceptions being that some of these the battery packs may not be subject to the same design restrictions and scrutiny to which cell phones are subjected.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 08:53
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,423
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by WingNut60
There is no intrinsic reason for a small battery pack to be anymore troublesome than a phone.
The exceptions being that some of these the battery packs may not be subject to the same design restrictions and scrutiny to which cell phones are subjected.
Many power banks are advertised on a well-known auction site with the rider "If we printing capacity, the product can not be allowed to transport by the plane, we hope you can understand this".
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 08:56
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Age: 71
Posts: 881
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.............. , we hope you can understand this".
Only just.

Don't think I'd be buying one of those.
But I guess others would.
Mine says Hitachi and I'm not expecting any problems.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 09:42
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,899
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaah, the Power pack. Designed for phone addicts and those with terrible forward planning skills or maybe they simply own an iPhone?
Superpilot is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 09:49
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The woods
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a few interesting moments but fortunately cabin fire wasnít one of them... until a couple of hostesses on an airline far away mentioned on the crew bus a small fire at the rear of the cabin which they had had...
When I became alert I got:
Oh we didnít want to disturb you Captain - and we got it out fast...
They were pretty though
bill fly is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 09:55
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 0
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love cabin crew who get it out fast .
Landflap is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 10:57
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This BBC report of the incident includes a video which I think is of a different event as it does not appear to be in a first class cabin. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48879379

I find it unbelievable that most peoples reactions were either to get their mobile phones out to film the fire or to shout a lot - surprisingly neither of these will do anything to prevent the fire spreading!
PJD1 is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:08
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,423
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by PJD1
This BBC report of the incident includes a video which I think is of a different event as it does not appear to be in a first class cabin.
RYR BCN-IBZ, according to the video. Presumably the July 2018 incident, unless it has happened to them again.
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:14
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: UK
Age: 58
Posts: 3,280
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That BBC report also has a quote from an adjacent passenger suggesting that it was the seat and not a charger or phone that started the fire.
Having said that, I've lost count of the number of phones/chargers etc I've been asked to recover from seats. Usually business/first class where the owner has no idea it was lost until they try to find it after landing.
I even found a large tablet that was jamming one seat. We were called to fix the seat, the tablet had been 'mislaid' on a previous flight and not been reported!

Mind how you go.
TURIN is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:20
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vienna
Posts: 143
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Superpilot
Aaah, the Power pack. Designed for phone addicts and those with terrible forward planning skills or maybe they simply own an iPhone?
As an iPhone user - you are spot on. My powerbank is huge and heavy. And yes, I'm terrified of it. It could burn down my house, or worse, a plane.

Perhaps lipo bags should be mandatory? I'm not sure if they work with li-ion?

derjodel is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:23
  #13 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TURIN
That BBC report also has a quote from an adjacent passenger suggesting that it was the seat and not a charger or phone that started the fire.
Having said that, I've lost count of the number of phones/chargers etc I've been asked to recover from seats. Usually business/first class where the owner has no idea it was lost until they try to find it after landing.
I even found a large tablet that was jamming one seat. We were called to fix the seat, the tablet had been 'mislaid' on a previous flight and not been reported!

Mind how you go.
I could understand a passenger thinking it was the seat that caused the fire, if the powerpack fell inside it, was crushed and then set the seat alight.

Last year, I inadvertently dropped my smartphone into a lie flat bed on RJ, but aware of the potential outcome, reported it to the crew. It was a b*gger of a job opening the seat up to get it (I helped them, by holding back some parts as they worked. They wouldn't hear my apology for the inconvenience, though, as they were so relieved and pleased I'd got them in the loop ASAP, before anything happened.
Final 3 Greens is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:33
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
RYR BCN-IBZ, according to the video. Presumably the July 2018 incident, unless it has happened to them again.
Ah OK a Ryanair flight to Ibiza - probably shouldn't be too surprised at their reactions then

PJD1 is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:58
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: 5Y
Posts: 585
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZFT
Slightly surprised anyone needs either a power pack (or charger) today as USB ports are so readily available.

Power packs are banned from checked bags by many airlines and extending this ban to include usage on board would seem to make sense?
I routinely travel with a power-pack. It's part of my basic forward planning! If my phone dies I can have a number of difficulties and I like to listen to audio books and music from my phone on my (rechargeable) headset.

There are plenty of aircraft flying intercontinental without recharging facilities at every seat, and those that are there sometimes don't work. For a start, the KLM 747's flying to Africa (when will they be retired) have no power available at the seats.
double_barrel is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 17:13
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Paisley, Florida USA
Posts: 289
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand airport fire fighters boarding the aircraft, prior to passenger evacuation, to assess what was apparently reported as an extinguished or smoldering fire, but I can't understand the passengers being held in the onboard smoky environment for an hour afterwards. Methinks someone has some explaining to do.

I can sense the lawyers circling as we speak, since these poor passengers were forced to breathe contaminated air. All kidding aside, I would not be surprised if some PAX suffered genuine respiratory distress.

Cheers,
Grog
capngrog is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 17:32
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canadian Shield
Posts: 538
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it unbelievable that most peoples reactions were either to get their mobile phones out to film the fire or to shout a lot - surprisingly neither of these will do anything to prevent the fire spreading!
Shouting would use up the available oxygen quicker, thereby extinguishing the fire!
er340790 is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 17:41
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 766
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare a thought for those of us that must use a powerbank on board. How else can I keep my EFB charged on a 15 hour flight, if the aircraft doesn't have a power socket by my seat or it does but is unserviceable?
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 18:01
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 11,820
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
What gets me is that when a aircraft has to divert and cannot continue the flight that the passengers are upset the Airline keeps them in the dark.(= compensation)
I would personally prefer to be kept in the dark so long as we were safe on the ground and not a smouldering hole in the ground.
Airlines want to get us on our way and not be a long further drain on their system and I am sure they are doing what they can. But until someone higher up and probably not at the airport can organise a aircraft and crew we would just have to sit there.
Kiltrash is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2019, 02:30
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Age: 71
Posts: 881
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiltrash
What gets me is that when a aircraft has to divert and cannot continue the flight that the passengers are upset the Airline keeps them in the dark.(= compensation)
I would personally prefer to be kept in the dark so long as we were safe on the ground and not a smouldering hole in the ground.
Airlines want to get us on our way and not be a long further drain on their system and I am sure they are doing what they can. But until someone higher up and probably not at the airport can organise a aircraft and crew we would just have to sit there.
Airlines are seldom altruistic about passenger well-being once those passengers are on the ground. Similarly, they are sometimes outright deceitful.

As an example, after being diverted to some place other than my intended destination, I would like both the opportunity and the information necessary for ME to make a decision about what I would like to do about the rest of my journey.
Airlines will always try to put in place their preferred contingency plan. If providing accurate and honest information to passengers might result in those passengers opting to cancel their onward journey or use an alternate carrier, the airlines WILL avoid providing that information.

That's the sort of thing that gets peoples backs up.

Admittedly and unfortunately, for some (quite a few) this all may just seem to be an opportunity for compensation.
That does not give the right for airlines to conceal what is happening or intended. But they do.
WingNut60 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.