PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2019, 14:11
Arcal76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another sad event who shouldn't happen...

Companies are pushing for automation.
They think it is key factor to avoid trouble when we gone become incompetent to hand fly an aircraft.
It is a problem everywhere and a gigantic one in the airline industry.
I feel now that I don't know if I am safe now when I fly an airline because I don't if the guys in front will be able to really fly the aircraft if they have a major problem (we have seen that in many occasion....)

When you take-off in those conditions, you really have top prepare your mind about you should do, what is important, what procedure you will have. Taking-off during the day can be done "mechanically" without thinking about anything, there is no way it is possible to do that at night.
Many people do not fly at night or under-estimate the difficulty of night flying. The transition from the take-off area to total darkness can be very surprising and difficult to manage and in this case you go from having some light during take-off to pitch black.
If you are not prepared mentally, it is a recipe for disaster and it doesn't matter if you have experience.
As the other guys said, with a 139, even if you are not current or not used to do that, it shouldn't be difficult.
Pre-select 2000ft, prepare yourself to accelerate to Vy, select ALTA at Vy and the aircraft brings you to 2000 ft at the speed you had when you made the selection.
You are flying a 139, not a 206, you should know all system available to help you and use them when you need it.
It is sad to see that even with modern aircraft who have a lots of tools available to save you, we still end up with 7 persons dead.