PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2019, 12:09
abdunbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of situational awareness is a problem for all of us. I just took some people on a canoe trip in Northern Maine. We drove two hours beyond cell phone coverage to the start of the trip. Then went down a river, high water and a current that meant return impossible. Water was so fast that we had to snatch the canoes from a steep bank at the first night camp site. If anyone had missed the landing.... The point is that it is easy to get in over your head in any endeavor.

Rich guys have much more opportunity for everything, including getting into trouble. Seems as if there should be a rich guy survival class. What was the right answer to this situation? What were the alternatives? Assuming that the medical emergency was acute, not just uncomfortable. Was it possible to get a medevac from Florida or Nassau? Would that medevac company have been a better qualified operation? I have no idea but Monday morning thinking says that this information should have been part of a Bahama out island SOP. On the other hand no one appreciates being restricted by more rules and regulations. But wouldn't it be nice to know where the line is. I just googled some medevac companies. They do brag about their NVG and IFR training. But I saw no mention of when and if they operate one or two pilot, how they handle dispatch, what crew rest rules they follow...