PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin flight diverts due to cabin fire
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2019, 01:30
WingNut60

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiltrash
What gets me is that when a aircraft has to divert and cannot continue the flight that the passengers are upset the Airline keeps them in the dark.(= compensation)
I would personally prefer to be kept in the dark so long as we were safe on the ground and not a smouldering hole in the ground.
Airlines want to get us on our way and not be a long further drain on their system and I am sure they are doing what they can. But until someone higher up and probably not at the airport can organise a aircraft and crew we would just have to sit there.
Airlines are seldom altruistic about passenger well-being once those passengers are on the ground. Similarly, they are sometimes outright deceitful.

As an example, after being diverted to some place other than my intended destination, I would like both the opportunity and the information necessary for ME to make a decision about what I would like to do about the rest of my journey.
Airlines will always try to put in place their preferred contingency plan. If providing accurate and honest information to passengers might result in those passengers opting to cancel their onward journey or use an alternate carrier, the airlines WILL avoid providing that information.

That's the sort of thing that gets peoples backs up.

Admittedly and unfortunately, for some (quite a few) this all may just seem to be an opportunity for compensation.
That does not give the right for airlines to conceal what is happening or intended. But they do.