PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Control In-Flight - Flight Crew training
Old 5th Jul 2019, 13:35
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etudiant
The evidence suggests that the PF in AF447 did not recognize that he had the stick back, perhaps because he had not properly settled into the left seat when the Captain gave him the nod rather than the more senior PM.
Rubbish, it's right there in the transcript: "But I’ve been at maxi nose-up for a while". Stall might not have been deliberate, but the control inputs certainly were.

Possibly, possibly, when he said this the captain may have realised what was going on, but he wasn't settled into either seat and only came in after LOC was well in progress. Recovery was probably impossible by that point as well.

Problem is none of them correctly associated stick-back and altimeter unwinding as stall, even when the alarm was going off. Maybe flying a plane that normally protects you from stall leads to that? There are plenty of references to "climbing" (and to engines being on full power) in the CVR even as altitude is being lost at speed and they are clearly falling. Translation may have turned "pitched up" into "climbing" but this does not detract from the fact that if you are "pitched up" on full power and falling out of the sky, you are not flying, you are stalled - at least that is my non-pilot's understanding from aerodynamics courses long ago, feel free to correct me if I am wrong...