PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Control In-Flight - Flight Crew training
Old 4th Jul 2019, 11:33
neilki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Envelope

Originally Posted by macdo
Sorry, you misunderstood me, I was advocating a few years in crappy aircraft with no automation for all, but the opportunity for all to do this has now past. The only chance for improvement is for far more exacting training. Airlines will baulk at the cost, but legislators must insist. TBH I was given a completely unexpected unreliable speed in the sim a few month back (Airbus) and the sea of contra indications from the FWC was appalling. Fortunately, my brain immediately went to basics of attitude/power and it all worked out, but it was a bit heart stopping.
Baulk they may but the regulator did in the US. FAA AC Extended Envelope/Upset Recovery is mandatory initial and recurrent training under 121 (Scheduled Airline Services) in the land of the free. An extensive modification of simulators is underway (completed at the Airbus owned facilities in Denver & Miami)
It's very interactive includes Upset Recovery (near vertical, rolled through the horizon etc), HA stalls held well into the buffet and Unreliable Airspeeds.
The maneuvering is certainly aggressive and we've heard stories of the concrete platforms under Sims failing. Theres no doubt watching one from the outside what's going in within..
Good to see this becoming the norm globally.
Happy 4th

Last edited by neilki; 4th Jul 2019 at 11:49.