PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Control In-Flight - Flight Crew training
Old 4th Jul 2019, 09:52
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
TheiC

I am a fast jet pilot not an airline pilot so I will happily defer to those more knowledgeable than myself. However, I’m not quite getting your point.

If an aircraft has full power applied (for virtually the entire time) and descends at 35 AoA from 35000 until impact how is this happening if not done by the pilot?

I know there was a ‘dual input’ issue and then one of the guys was trying to take corrective action. The Captain seemed to appreciate there was a stall but the FO kept his stick fully back trying to climb.

Do you use the acronym SABIRS in the civilian world for signs of the stall? The last one is ‘stick fully back’.

I understand that there are different modes or laws with the AP (my current jet has autopilot but far more simple than an Airbus) which will affect handling etc. The basics still apply though.

This is not me disagreeing with you necessarily but I still do not understand how you can say the pilot did not hold the aircraft in a stall. I know it wasn’t a deliberate attempt to hold it in a stall but the stick fully back is what caused the stall isn’t it?

I understand the speed mis-match, caused by icing, was the initial problem but if held straight and level the aircraft would have continued on its merry way until clear of the icing conditions.

BV

Last edited by Bob Viking; 4th Jul 2019 at 10:03.