PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK : Command Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2019, 03:52
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mgggpilot
Dude, my honest advice is just apply and go through the whole process, if accepted go. Don't be scared of failing checks or whatever along the route because as you said you never failed once, this shows how seriously you take things. In these majors as long as you open your books and play it safe you won't get into troubles.
​​​Only issue, very big issue I see from you is you like flying with easy going captains only. At this stage of the game you should be able to know that there many Arse hole captains you will always have to fly with. Some would want you to do stuffs their way. What's your problem of doing those stuffs. As long as it is safe to do why not do them. You can't stress yourself up when you use open descent during descent and a captain tells you to use V/s. Or Captain telling you don't do shutdown procedure because the engineer is here and will take care of plane (Airbus). Are you gonna crush if you follow what he tells you? If in your opinion you think safety will be compromised then because you know your books already just tell the captain from this book so and so the Sop wants us to do this n that stuff. Point it out to him.
That is just basic CRM stuffs.
Lastly stop talking about command already. Don't die for it. Just do what's required of you and that's it. If it will come after 8 years then let it be so.
My one cent
Just to play devil's advocate here:

What's wrong with not wanting to fly with jackass captains? If I had my way, all the captains would be easy going.

In terms of doing stuff "their way". I'm assuming you mean technique, and not SOP. If the OP prefers to descend in OP DES, and it's not against SOP, and not unsafe, why should a competent captain insist on another mode just because it's not the way he (the captain) would do it?

At my company, a captain who micromanages to the point of controlling the FO's display brightness would quickly find himself on the no-fly list of all the FO's, and would eventually be having a chat with the professional standards committee, or chief pilot.