PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Disruptive Passenger
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2019, 09:08
double_barrel

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gipsy Queen
Not sure that I understand the last bit. "Security", by definition requires knowledge to be held by some people whilst being withheld from others. What is "shaky" about that precept?

I'm often astonished by the information sometimes given on the forum and which clearly is of a confidential nature. I'm happy to recognise things as such and respect their supposed status but that may not apply to others. I think Pilot DAR's explanation is quite sufficient and should be accepted without quibble. To suggest that management of the forum is censorious is unfair - pop into Jet Blast to see how wide the latitudes of acceptability really are.

It's a maxim in the IT world that security by obscurity is no security and is dangerously delusional.

ie Things are either genuinely, protected, secrets or they are public knowledge. There is nothing usefully in between.

To take a silly example that cannot possibly exercise the admins, the idea that a certain transponder code can be usefully kept as an obscure fact, known to every pilot and everyone who has ever thought about flying, but not bad guys is, errm, not based in logic!

Last edited by double_barrel; 26th Jun 2019 at 09:29.